Monday, December 24, 2012

圣诞节快乐 (Merry Christmas)



This Christmas isn't the first time I've been away from the holidays but it is the first time I've celebrated in a country that doesn't really celebrate Christmas. According to other foreigners it's only been in the past few years that China has started to celebrate the commercial side of Christmas. The only decorations are at the shopping malls. They also play Christmas carols, mostly in english. What's really interesting is that even though the decorations are commercial the music played is often religious; but since it's in English they don't seem to notice. 



I tried really hard to make this year feel Christmasy. I'm so thankful that I've been able to find the things I need to celebrate it from all the way on the other side of the world.  


The mall near my house has pirate themed Christmas decorations. Not sure how pirates and Santa mix but they gave it a try any ways. My favorite is that on the entrance to the mall there is a big "Merry Christmas" sign that has "Hell" written all over it.  Merry Christmas... go to hell?


Outside another mall, they must have a fairy theme



Day and night views of the tree located at the main subway station. 
Only outside tree I've seen.  

Reindeer on the tree display 



I wrapped some tinsel and lights together to make this mantle decoration. It's right next to a mirror and when you turn all the lights off it reflects back like a fireplace. It's probably my most favorite decoration ever. Think I might keep it up all year. 



PRESENTS!!! Well, have of them I bought and wrapped for myself but it's still fun to have something to open Christmas morning. 


To all my friends and family around the world Merry Christmas!!! 







2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Lesley. So proud of you and your accomplishments. Keep up the good work and thanks for blogging. The decorations over there are beautiful! I love that mantle idea...might try it myself, someday!
    Loving you across the miles,
    "Ant" Jac and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. Merry Christmas go to Hell! Too funny. Nothing like a pirate Santa to spread some holiday joy. Hope u are doing well! Rochelle

    ReplyDelete