Thursday, May 24, 2012

Food

So much to talk about... The first few days were a bit overwhelming, there is so much to take in a whole new language, city, apartment, and not to mention the food. Zhangjiagang (pronounced kind of like john-jaw-gong said fast) is a beautiful city that has a mix of the new and old world. They're known for their Walking Street which is basically an outdoor mall, its blocks of shops and restaurants, but they have a large park that is reminiscent of ancient times. I started work on Monday and so far it's been going great. They have been waiting a long time for a foreign female teacher so everyone is vey excited I am here. I've already made a few friends and the locals are very friendly and helpful. There has always been some one to help me when I needed it.  

They have KFC's everywhere (its like their Starbucks) but it's nothing like in the US, luckily the fries and ice cream are the same. The first few days I stuck pretty close to KFC but I've found some food that I really like, Chicken Buddy is a local chicken eatery they have pretty good chicken bites, the kids in the office got me hooked on it. A friend took me for a real Chinese buffet, if you look closely you can see a duck's head and prawns, I also have sheep and what I think might have been pork, I drew the line at octopus. 








I live not to far from a big supermarket, RT-Mart. I've gotten the hang of shopping in China and try to pick things that I can tell what the picture is. They do have a variety of interesting flavors for many of their dishes mostly fish or prawn flavored. I think with time I'll branch out and try some of the local flavors but for now I'm sticking to things I know I'll like. I discovered yesterday that they have Oreos!!


It's been a fun week of adjusting to my new life  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment