Friday, May 25, 2012

Gardens







 This past week I've been able to get around and see some of the beautiful gardens China has to offer. I had a day off on Wednesday and I took the chance to explore Zhangjiagang Park. Its a very beautiful park located in the middle of the hectic Chinese street. There is a large lake in the center of the park where people can rent paddle boats. Its a nice retreat from the noise and buildings of the city.  



On Sunday I went to Suzhou (pronounced sue-joe), which is about an hour and a half southeast, for church but decided to stay and make a day of it. Or as I like to say "I got my tourist on." There are some very beautiful gardens with a rich, ancient, history. I visited The Humble Administrator's Garden which dates back to the Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD). It was originally a private residency, then a monastery, then a retirement home for a poet during the Ming Dynasty around 1510 and now a world heritage site. It is beautiful and serene with many pavilions, bridges and pools. The next three photos are of that garden.  


Humble Administrator's Garden

And finally just a block away there is the Lion Grove Garden, which was built during the Yuan Dynasty (around 1342 AD) by a Zen Buddhist monk. It's smaller that Humble Administrator's but was full of huge, naturally shaped rocks, bridges and a pavilion shaped like a boat on the water.  Tons of people were there too. I had to fight my way though the tour groups just to get a quick glimpse at all the sights. But I guess being in China I should get used to the crowds. :) Lesley   
Lion's Grove 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment